Sunday, August 5, 2012

Beware of Collectors

I don't know why, but in my opinion too many people are not worried enough of the collectors that come to their door. The following  incident was posted in the N'shei Ramat Eshkol email on June 7:
Warning for our neighborhood: Last week, I answered the door for a tzedakah collector who looked like a young American Yeshiva bochur. When I gave him some money, he asked for a bracha for a shidduch. I gave him one, and he started saying very inappropriate things that made me feel uncomfortable and frightened. I quickly closed the door and locked it. I now do not answer the door for strangers if my husband is not home. Please be aware and be safe.

I am not shocked, though it's sad to hear that stories like this still happening. I personally do not let my wife open the door for collectors when I am not home. Even when I am home, I take extra precaution to open the door myself. There has always been crazy people making their rounds collecting in houses, and unfortunately it's not safe for a woman to open the door while being alone. 

Just because someone is dressed like a beggar doesn't nor shouldn't give the person automatic access to your open door. If you really think that the beggar is worthy of your money, don't open the door unless the door is chained shut with a small hole to pass money.

No comments:

Post a Comment